Yes, it would be your first time to do self-publishing but that is not an excuse for you to commit mistakes. Committing mistakes with your self-published book can project that it is made in an unprofessional way and can be hindrance to your success. Here are some mistakes which you can easily avoid:
• Poor writing
Whenever we write, it is natural for us to miss a punctuation, spelling and make other typographical mistakes. But to allow these mistakes to appear on our book, will make us appear very unprofessional. Just imagine readers reading the blurb page and finding mistakes from it which can be avoided if you only have gotten somebody review it for you before printing and distribution.
Another thing that you would have to consider is the flow of organization and thought. If your book is disorganized then it can be difficult from some to read and understand. You would have to make sure that you have a good and detailed outline to help you with the writing. If you are having difficulties writing and think that you need somebody to help you out, then you can get a co-writer or an editor to check your work.
If you are writing a story or novel, remember that continuity is important. There are some writers that would miss that out, for example if they have hazel eyes, then make sure that their eyes stay the same colour throughout the story unless it is significant for the story to change it. Avoid giving incorrect information and details. Also avoid putting wrong captions in pictures and graphs, if ever you will use some.
• Inadequate book editing, formatting, and layout
You would have to invest on the formatting of the book. Book sales can be affected by a bad cover or bad title. You may need to get a book designer to do your book layout and your cover. Booksellers recognize that jackets and covers are very important in clinching sales. So do not sacrifice in getting a professional to do the cover design.
Aside from the cover, another thing that could affect book sales would be the format of its contents. There are different formats, you can check books from your shelf or you can go to the library to look at some. Things that you need to take note of would be the page distribution among the title pages, copyright pages, dedication pages and the start of the first chapter.
• Lack of promotion, marketing and distribution plan
Okay, you have already produced a good book. It is already clean from mistakes, wrong spelling and typographical errors. You would have to come up with a good marketing plan. It is important not to miss this out. Some self-published authors have overlooked this thinking that having a good book on their hands would be good enough. But how will a book sell if readers do not even know it even exist?
You would have to make sure that you have a well-planned advertising, marketing and launching plan. If you think you cannot pull it off, then do not hesitate to get an experienced person to help you out.
Aside from marketing, some self-published authors also tend to make mistakes in distribution. Make sure that your target audience get to have a chance to buy your book. Some authors would also overlook online distribution. There are cost-efficient online distribution channels where you can have your book available. Internet is becoming a convenient place for people to buy stuff that they want and need.
Another thing that self-publishing authors should not forget is getting ISBN numbers. Actually, this is an easy thing to do. There are websites that could give you instructions on how to buy ISBNs from RR Bowker, this is the U.S. ISBN agency.
Self-publishing is a balance between everything. To be successful with the book, you do not have to just only write an excellent book but make opportunities for readers to be able to get acquainted and buy it.
Self-Publishing Related Articles
- All About eBooks
- Avoidable Self-Publishing Mistakes
- Characteristics Of Self-Publishing
- Common Obstacles for Self-Publishing
- Creating Your Own Blog
- Different Kinds of Self-Publishing
- Downside Of Self-Publishing
- Dynamics Behind Self-Publishing
- Ebooks Online Publishing Tips For Beginners
- Going For Self-Publishing Marketing Tips
- How Does Online Publishing Work
- Is Online Publishing Right For You
- Making the Most of Your Online Publishing Efforts
- Motivations for Self-Publishing
- Online Publishing Basics
- Online Publishing Through Article Marketing
- Online Publishing Tips and Tricks for Better Results
- Online Publishing Tips for Article Marketing Beginners
- Online Publishing With ClickBank
- Online Publishing With Squidoo
- POD and Self-Publishing
- Preparing Writing a Book for Self-Publishing
- Product Creation – Online Publishing for Business
- Review: Self-Publishing Manual by Dan Poynter
- Self Publishing In The Modern World
- Self Publishing Your Book through Lulu
- Self-Publishing through the Eyes of Non-Authors
- Self-Publishing Tips: Book Writing Magic
- Self-Publishing Tips: Proper Layout
- Self-Publishing Your Book?
- Self-Publishing Your Music
- Using Online Publishing to Promote Offline Products
- What are the Potential Benefits of Online Publishing?
- What Is Online Publishing
- Which Is Which: Traditional Publishing Or Self-Publishing
- Why Get Into Self-Publishing
- Why I Will Engage In Self Publishing?
- Why is Online Publishing Important?
- Why You Should Consider Self-Publishing Your Own Book