With all the new magazine titles that are being published, you’d think that magazine publishing is so easy to do. But in truth, it is not. Magazine publishing is actually hard to set up especially if you are new to the industry. This is why it is important that you have even a small experience with magazines or even publishing before you try to get into the business. That way, you will be able to understand where your employees are coming from and how you can make the business work with the minimum expenses.
Here are some things that you need to know when you get into magazine publishing.
1. It’s expensive.
It’s not a joke to finance a magazine. Besides the writers that you have to hire, you also have to pay for the paper and printing. Just imagine, you have to publish thousands of copies. Each costs tens of dollars. Remember that unlike newspapers, the paper used in magazines is glossy and thick. This means that the paper used in magazines are more expensive. You should also be able to provide for the office equipment and the office space. So unless you have billions of dollars to burn from the bank, think twice before you invest in magazines.
2. It’s difficult to source out.
Sourcing out the materials for the magazine, from the paper to the printer can be hard especially if you are on a tight budget. Getting good writers that you don’t have to edit is already hard enough; but you also need to hire marketing personnel who will also help sell the pages.
That is why it is good that you are already part of the industry or have been working in the industry before you get into magazine publishing. That way, you will already have contacts who can give you a much lower price. It is also better if you already know writers that are really good and just in case you cannot afford to pay for an editor, it will be good that you already have an idea on how to do it. Besides, being in the industry will allow you to have better taste when it comes to content and layout.
3. Competition is tough
A magazine cannot thrive in circulation alone. To survive, your magazine should also rake in advertisements. This is when the job becomes hard. You see with all the magazines that have been cropping up in the metro, it will be hard for you to get advertisers that have already been advertising in other publications for your first issue. You first have to convince the advertisers that your magazine is interesting before you will be able to get their attention. This is oftentimes the case of the egg and the chicken. You need to have a good circulation to get advertisers but you need advertisers in order to increase your circulation!
4. Socializing is part of it.
Believe it or not, the success of a magazine is not only dependent on the content and the people who write for you; it is also dependent on the buzz that you create for your magazines. This can be done through socializing with people that are part of your target market. This is part of the marketing campaign for magazine publishing. To promote the mag, some companies even hold events.
Magazine Publishing Related Articles
- Adventures in Magazine Publishing
- Concepts in Magazine Publishing
- Finding Your Niche in Magazine Publishing
- Literary Magazine Publishing
- Magazine Publishing Career
- Magazine Publishing Categorized
- Magazine Publishing Circulation
- Magazine Publishing Company Tips
- Magazine Publishing Compensation
- Magazine Publishing for Different Readership
- Magazine Publishing in America
- Magazine Publishing Insights
- Magazine Publishing: What You Need To Know
- Readership Interests Covered by Magazine Publishing
- Starting Your Own Magazine Publishing Business
- The process of Magazine Publishing
- The Science of the Magazine Publishing Process
- The Wonders Of Magazine Publishing
- Things You Need to Know About Magazine Publishing
- Women’s Magazine Publishing