It’s an absolute must. If you want to sell your book to the masses, you have to get out there and publicize it. You need to be on the radio, in magazines and newspapers and on TV. The more the public hears about you and your book, the more likely your book will stand out from the hundreds of thousands published every year.
As many bestselling authors will tell you, talk radio is one of the best and most cost-efficient vehicles to get your message heard by consumers. But, with different publicity firms out there competing for your business, how do you choose the right one? What factors should you look for and which are the most important?
* Experience. How important is experience? Very. You need to employ a company who has had years of experience promoting books on talk radio. A skilled firm knows how to develop an angle from your book that will get you the broadest national exposure. They will know how to write an effective press release that stands out from all the rest. And most importantly, they know how to get a positive reaction from producers that results in a booking. This is the kind of experience that will ensure you get quality media placements.
* Quality Markets. In what markets will you be heard? If you’re paying a firm to obtain media interviews, you don’t want to be booked in markets smaller than top 100. There’s no question that stations in smaller markets have value, but you don’t need to pay top dollar for someone to arrange it for you.
* Quality Stations. What caliber of stations will your interviews take place on? The criteria we use for booking interviews is nothing less than 5,000 watts or above on the AM dial. In every market you’ll find high-powered and low-powered stations. Obviously, the more power a station has, the morepeople will be listening in. So, if you’re paying for media interviews, your best return on investment will be appearing as a guest on larger stations.
* Guarantee. What sort of guarantee is in place? In the book promotion business, you’ll find some PR firms whose fees are based on performance and others who charge a monthly retainer with no guarantee. Given a choice, your best bet is to work with a performance-based firm as your media placements will be guaranteed.
Hopefully these four factors will help in your search for the right publicity firm.
Book Publishing Related Articles
- 10 New Tips For Successfully Promoting Your Book On Talk Radio
- A Strategy For Coming Up With A Great Book Title
- Are You Missing Out Without Online Marketing?
- Best Selling Book Cover Design
- Book Advance
- Book Promotion Woes?
- Building An Audience For Your Book
- Can You Afford To Publish Your Book?
- Consider Self Publishing in Ebook Format
- Get Your Book Done Now!
- How To Catch A Book Editor's Attention
- How To Get Your Book Reviewed In Magazines
- How To Sell Your Non-Fiction Book
- Make Big Money On Your Book
- Marketing, Promoting and Selling your Book
- Publicity For Your Book
- Seven Secrets of Writing a Book That Sells
- Submitting Your Manuscript: Getting Started
- The Business of Publishing
- Writing Your Book